Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Types/Genres of Music - The Beatles are and always will be the very, very best.

I like to listen to all types of music (except country, I prefer the older country music and alt country as opposed to current pop country). Since I was 10 years old and until the day I die, the Beatles are and will be my favorite band. The shows that I go to see depend largely on the cost of the ticket and the night that they play. There are some exceptions to these rules. For example, a few years ago Cake played during the week when I had to work the next day. Cake is one of my top ten favorite bands so I felt as though seeing them live outweighed being tired at work the next day. In addition, location plays a big part. A cab ride is pretty expense from northeast Minneapolis to the Turf Club in St. Paul. I guess I listen to a variety of music because I don’t like to hear the same thing over and over. The current was a godsend! They play everything from Billie Holiday to Big Star to Radiohead.

Probably the song that best illustrates my musical preferences at this time in my life is “Working Class Hero” by John Lennon. There are obvious parallels between this Lennon song and the Beatles catalogue. There are many autobiographical associations that I identify with throughout the song. Essentially John is singing about how hard it is to try to figure out what you want to do with your life. You get in trouble for being too stupid and in trouble for being too smart – one need be average and ordinary. They (parents/teachers/society) force you to act the way that they want, and then they want you to hurry up and choose what you want to do for a career after they’ve chosen everything up to that point for you. He then finishes the song by talking about what you have to endure to have the “right” or “preferred” career and proposes that if you want something better out of life, follow someone who is original (him).

Throughout his life John struggled to be himself. He was given up and abandoned by his parents (he was raised by an aunt) and his Plastic Ono Band solo album outlines this nicely. John was not only a musician; he was also an artist and eventually married another artist. In turn they produced an artist/musician child – Sean Lennon (whose new album and corresponding dvd with videos, “Friendly Fire,” is awesome). He solo work is raw and honest in a way that I’m not sure was possible within the Beatles.

”Working Class Hero” Lyrics:
As soon as you’re born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be
They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you’re clever and they despise a fool
Till you’re so fucking crazy you can’t follow their rules
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be

When they’ve tortured and scared you for twenty odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can’t really function you’re so full of fear
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be

Keep you doped with religion and sex and tv
And you think you’re so clever and classless and free
But you’re still fucking peasants as far as I can see
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be

There’s room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be

If you want to be a hero well just follow me
If you want to be a hero well just follow me

1 comment:

sspeicher said...

Kerry,
Great blog! One of the joys of being in this cohort has been connecting with you about music. I know the Beatles are your boyfriends and that's so cool. I love to listen to music that's influenced by the Beatles too. An artist that comes to mind is Elliot Smith. I love the way he layers and layers his music - just like Lennon's music.