Sunday, October 22, 2006

Genre – Mockumentary
Sara and I chose the Mockumentary genre. What appeals to me most about this genre is the humor. Anyone or anything can be mocked and subjects are all around us. The characters are very human and thus are easy to sympathize with. The characters, setting, and themes of mockumentaries are numerous. There are the loveable losers, creepy sidekicks, and just plain quirky characters: All of whom either parallel someone we know or are someone with whom we can identify ourselves.

Having worked in a highly unappealing office setting for numerous years, my favorite mockumentaries are the BBC’s The Office and the movie Office Space. Both have done an excellent job of pointing out the annoying details of cubicle life. Unfortunately for those still working in the office setting, both also are startlingly accurate in their depiction of office life.

1 comment:

sspeicher said...

I'm so with you Kerry. I think it's so funny how serious people in the mockumentaries take themselves. Their earnestness is part of what makes me both empathize with them and get a kick out of their situations.